Tuesday, February 26, 2008
A list - 170 to 189
(170) APOCALYPTIC - RELATED TO IMPENDING DOOM OR PROPHETIC OF AN APOCALYPSE
(Eg) The artist drew a picture on an apocalyptic theme.
(171) APOCRYPHAL - NOT AUTHENTIC, WIDELY BELIEVED BUT NOT TRUE.
(Eg) Most of the theories about UFO are apocryphal in nature.
(172) APOGEE - FARTHEST POINT
(173) APOPLEXY - LOSS OF CONSCIOUSNESS DUE TO EXCESSIVE ACCUMULATION OF BLOOD IN THE BRAIN.
(174) APROPOS - WITH REFERENCE TO.
(Eg) Al gore stared in ' the inconvenient truth', the movie apropos to increasing levels of global warming.
(175) APOSTATE - TO TURN AGAINST ONE'S OWN RELIGION.
(Eg) Galileo's theories were initially dismissed and he was treated badly by the church, and he eventually became an apostate.
(176) APOTHECARY - DRUGGIST OR PHARMACIST.
(177) APPALL - DISMAY OR SHOCK.
(Eg) The girl was appalled by the court's decision.
(178) APPARITION - GHOSTLY APPEARING FIGURE.
(179) APPEASE - PACIFY.
(Eg) The sumo wrestlers are trying to appease the crying babies.
(180) APPELLATION - NAMES.
(181) APPEND - ATTACH.
(Eg) The silver string is appended to the blue rope.
(182) APPLICATION - DILIGENT ATTENTION, FOCUSSED WORK.
(Eg) The man is involved in careful application of the insecticide on the roof top to prevent termite infection.
(183) APPRAISE - ESTIMATE THE VALUE OF.
(Eg) The old man is trying to appraise the cost of the jar.
(184) APPREHEND - ARREST.
(Eg) The cops apprehended the crazy driver.
(185) APPREHENSIVE - IN FEAR OF POSSIBLE EVIL OR HARM, DISCERNING.
(186) APPRISE - INFORM
(Eg) The CEO had called the board meeting to apprise the members of the profits.
(187) APPROBATION - APPROVAL.
(188) AQUILINE - SHARP AND CURVED.
(Eg) Meat eating birds have aquiline beaks.
(189) ARABLE - LAND THAT CAN BE CULTIVATED OR LAND SUITABLE FOR AGRICULTURE.